Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Money Doesn't Grow on Trees


I've noticed a while ago that my 6 year old Cougar had begun to say things like "We're poor." I tell him that we are NOT poor because poor is forever. We may be broke, but we will NEVER be poor. This bright idea started a whole new problem. Cougar began to walk around telling everyone that we are broke!
This has only been exasterbated by Chad and my decision to cancel cable. We are getting ready to move and need to increase our savings and it seemed like a logical choice. This has really sent Cougar into a tail spin of concern.
I have decided that a 6 year old is too young to worry about whether his parents have enough money to care for him (which we do btw!). I have vowed that I will keep my money woes quiet around him from here on out.
I do think it is important for him to understand living within a budget. We can't pay for certain things, not because we are poor or broke, but because it doesn't fit within our budget. If we overspend on groceries, we will have to take the money out of the car gas budget and THEN we will have to not go see the grandparents over the weekend. That would be not be fun. So it would be better to only buy at the store, what is already on the list. I designed a new shirt to go with this theme for my kdis to get the RIGHT idea. "Money doesn't grow on trees."
http://www.zazzle.com/money_doesnt_grow_on_trees_tshirt-235672729028564253

7 comments:

Melisa said...

I got to explain to Daven yesterday that $16 Transformer crocs were not in the budget. Fun times. It will be harder when money is plentiful for them to understand that they don't get everything they want. Yikes.

TheFamousStacie said...

Yes, I guess we have this "special" time to train them young. Any post residency babies don't have a chance!

Melisa said...

Post residency babies? I don't think so! ;o) How many more do you want?

TheFamousStacie said...

Haha! None right now, but you never know when Chad's going to get baby fever again. I just sit around and he tells me when it's time to make babies! btw - I am moving my blog over here. I've linked it to my website. I don't know much about blogging so we'll see how it goes.

Melisa said...

Chad is the one that gets baby hungry, huh. As much as I want another one, I value my sanity... haha!

TheFamousStacie said...

I honestly just don't trust my maternal nature, because I am always in the mood to have a new baby. Yet I lose my mind at the same time. It doesn't make logical sense. So I leave it up to him. If you have any blogging tips for me I'm all ears!

Melisa said...

I want another one, I just know I can't do it right now. Maybe some day, then again maybe not...

Blogging tips? Like what? You have good material.