Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Help! Around the House: A Mother's Guide to Getting the Family to Pitch in and Clean up - Book Review


by Don Aslett

Sheer brilliance. It should be made into scripture, and I should be required to read from it each and everyday. I want to read all of his books as soon as I can.

I have taken about a page of notes for each book I have read on the subject of home management. I took about 10 pages of notes for this one. It was stock full of fresh, innovative, and motivating ideas.

The book is about getting all of the family to take responsibility in the upkeep of the home. Aslett teaches self-reliance and teamwork. "Cleaning creates a pattern of consideration." Who doesn't want considerate kids?

Two quotes I love:
"There is nothing wrong with making a mess. Mess is creativity's constant shadow. The problem is not in making a mess, but leaving it behind for someone else."

"Don't be surprised at how often a home must be de-cluttered. We cannot ask our children to clean the floor or do the dishes if clutter is obscuring the floor or the sink."

I love this book. So good.

1 comment:

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

I love those quotes! I will be checking out that book for sure... Found your site through a google search for cute beach cruisers :) I just got one and can't wait to go for a ride. Can't wait to read more from your blog.
Becky