Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style - Book Review


By Rosalyn Hoffman

This is a great book for millionaires who want to feel like they are getting a deal.  I'm not sure Hoffman really understands what a budget is because she kept giving splurge permission.  She doesn't know my budget and no matter what the item is, she should be directing me to stick to the budget and that is that.

So, what I liked from this book:

She recommends using this poor economic time to acquire original art.  Feed a starving artist.  She suggests never buying a print again and only invest in the real stuff which is more affordable than ever right now.

I appreciate her grooming recommendation: "Razors still shave; tweezers still pluck."  Great frugal advice!

When purchasing towels she recommends only buying white.  My mother did that.  It was a great idea.  They always match and can be bleached.  I personally have all navy blue towels.  They don't show much dirt, but the shades don't match perfectly when I have to buy more.

She brings up alternate modes of transportation.  While the bus isn't practical or money saving for a woman with 3 kids, she brings up bike riding.  I once saw a woman on a bike with two kids in a trailer, one in a back upright seat and one in a front mount seat.  Who needs a minivan!

Overall Hoffman made me feel un-hip and foolish for not recognizing all the artist, designers and labels she tossed around and dropped throughout the book.  How very unchic I am!  But somehow I felt that was her secret intention. 

No comments: