Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: The Accidental Housewife

The Accidental Housewife: How to Overcome Housekeeping Hysteria One Task at a Time by Julie Edelman.

Overall, I felt like I didn't learn anything from this book.  It was housekeeping at it's simplest level.  In fact, I think that 90% of the information in this book falls under the category of common sense.

She did have a few cute quotes throughout the book.  The overall voice of the author seemed to be trying to hard to be funny.  It was even painful at times.  Edelman used alcohol and drinking references constantly throughout.  She calls herself an accidental housewife, ergo, I'm assuming she hasn't fully accepted her present occupation. 

What I liked in the book was a chart of all the laundry signs and what they mean.  I also found the lists of available donation sights helpful.  Goodwill, Salvation Army, Dress for Success, Glass Slipper Project, Baby Buggy, and Children's Aid Society. 

Pages 62 and 63 has a list of laundry stains and how to treat them.  I haven't tried them out myself, but could be a good reference.

I wouldn't seek out this book.  Let me keep reading and reviewing to find a true gem or two.

No comments: