Wednesday, March 3, 2010

$5 Custom Draperies

After

Before - For the last 5 months THIS is what has been hanging on the boys' windows. The windows are an odd size and I cut an old sheer drape in half and hung it "temporarily" to cover the windows.

I am so ashamed...

I bought 2 fabrics 1/2 yard of each, and it was more than enough for both windows. Total cost: $5.

I divided the half yards into thirds and ripped into 3 strips. 6 strips total. I then cut each strip into 4ths. The sheer measured 62 inches. I pinned the rectangles of fabric together and sewed at 5/8 inch.

I measured from the curtain rod to where I wanted the decorative edge to fall. I measured and pinned right sides together on the sheer.

Sew a straight seam. I left a few inches at the bottom of the sheer.

Flip fabric and press seam with iron, facing down.

On end, fold extra fabric in like a present. Fold hem up from the bottom 1/2 inch and the once more at 1/2 pin and press. Continue pinning and pressing full length of drapery.


Sew!


Hang drapes and love yourself for creating custom draperies that are awesome and unbelievably inexpensive!

2 comments:

okm0251 said...

Perfect!

Elle said...

I am so jealous of your ability to sew, especially curtains... if you can believe it I have never in my adult life bought curtains, I've always just used blinds... I know totally lame, but every time I go look at curtains, even at wal-mart or target they look chintzy and they are still super expensive, I just feel like I should be able to sew them... I keep saying I'm going to take a sewing class, but have yet to do it!